Sunday, January 20, 2013

I don't like freebies

I don't like freebies. Most people love freebies. Something for nothing can be nearly irresistible. One thinks, “I may need something like this, so why not take it.” Well, for one reason, because you don't need it now, and by accepting it you validate the practice of giving our wasteful freebies.

Companies use freebies to promote themselves and their products. It is understandable that they want to promote and advertise, but excessive freebies is a waste. When notepads, pens, and pencils are given out by companies to the extent far beyond any need, that is wasteful enough, but it gets worse. Permanent items like customized company coffee mugs are really bad. Assuming you even like drinking your coffee while advertizing a product you use in your business or personal life, a ceramic coffee mug should last for many years. So if you receive a freebie mug you shouldn't need another for a long time, but they keep coming.

There are many categories of freebies. Many freebies are virtually forced on you. An example is that of packaged condiments and white rice that is invariably included with Chinese food takeout around here and presumably everywhere else. When my order includes a large pork fried rice, why must I expect 2 containers of white rice as well, even when I specifically request “no white rice”? And 5 or 6 packets of soy sauce and duck sauce I don't use. These should be items free by request, not automatically included.

At this time of year, my wife and I choose which, of the many, freebie wall calendars we will use for the year. The unrequested rest go to waste.

The same goes for free add-ons. One of my least favorites is the “collectible vase” sold with flower bouquets. Really? We have way more collectible vases than we will ever use, but bouquets are often sold in them and I have to wonder how many of these permanent products are used during the life, or I guess more appropriately death, of a flower bouquet and then thrown out?

The list goes on and on: refrigerator magnets, key fobs, stickers, thumb drives (usually small capacity), drink coozies, “baseball caps”, etc.

Another one of my least favorites is the freebie given as a “reward” for purchasing or donating. “Renew your subscription/membership today and get a free” whatever. These things CAN be useful, BUT, if you already have more shopping totes (you should by now) than you need, or already have an umbrella, or whatever, accepting another one is wasteful.

So, you get the idea. Please decline any freebies that you don't really need. Our planet needs us to minimize waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts by commenting on my blog.